Swansea City in the Premier League
Swansea City is the first Welsh football team to be competing in the Premier League and its attracting lots of attention to Wales' second largest city.
Did you know?
- Swansea City Football Club's home ground is called The Liberty Stadium
- Swansea City’s former home The Vetch Field was named due to the vetch (a type of legume - not a cabbage as popularly misbelieved in most of South Wales) that was grown on its surface at the time, the site was owned by Swansea Gaslight Company in 1912, when a professional football team was formed in the town.
- Everton are the only club in the top flight that Swansea have never beaten.
- 35 – Record number of goals in a season scored by Cyril Pearce 1931/32
- 5 – The record number of goals scored in a match by one player. Jack Fowler 5 v Charlton (6-1), Div 3, 27/9/24
- 12-0 – Swans record win against Sliema Wanderers in the European Cup Winners Cup in 1982.
- 43 – The age of Tommy Hutchinson, the oldest player to play for Swans in 1991
- 15 – The age of Nigel Dalling, the youngest player to play for Swans.
- Swansea have won the Welsh Cup 10 times - in 1913, 1932, 1950, 1961, 1966, 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1989, 1990.
- Wilfred Milne holds the record for the most League appearances for the club - with 585 appearances between 1919 and 1937.
- Roger Freestone holds the club record for the most appearances in all competitions - playing 699 games between 1989 - 2004.
- The most capped player to have played for the club is Ivor Allchurch - with 68 appearances for Wales.
- Highest attendance (Vetch) – 32,786 v Arsenal 17 Feb 1968
- Highest attendance (Liberty) – 20,733 v Manchester United 17 August 2013
- First ever kit manufacturer – Bukta
- First shirt sponsor – Diversified Products (DP)
- 4 swans players have made the Football League 100 legends – Trevor Ford, Ivor Allchurch, Cliff Jones, Tommy Smith
- 4 swans players have played at world cup finals – Ivor Allchurch, Len Allchurch, Mel Charles & Cliff Jones (all 1958)
- 41 swans players have made over 200 appearances. Just 2 current players – Leon Britton & Alan Tate